The Chronicles of Nathan

Peace Corps adventures in Uganda, March 2006 - May 2008

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Close of Service

Well, I finished my Peace Corps service and returned back to Kansas this week. I left Uganda a day earlier than I was scheduled to in order to make it back for my Grandpa's funeral. I had made a trip back to the Kansas in February to see him one last time. That had been the first time I'd been back in the US since leaving for Uganda in March of '06.

I know that I haven't kept up with this blog very well; letting you know what grand experiences I've been having, what wonderful things I've been doing to save the world, sharing the wisdom I've gained along the way. Maybe because I've felt like there's none of those things to share, or because it's seemed too difficult to convey anything accurately and in context, or maybe just because I'm lazy. Probably its a combination of those things.

Over the last months I've been living on the island that I wrote about before. I haven't been able to do a whole lot there, but did a little bit with lifejacket availability for the people living there. Around Christmas time I took a trip to Zanzibar, which was beautiful. Toward the end of my time in Uganda, I visited my former home out on Lake Albert, and I said goodbye to the people I've developed friendships with, and wrapped up my time in Uganda for now.

I’m not sure how to describe the last two years. I’ve been working to understand a culture and people not my own, yet I’m connected to. I've met a lot of local people and developed relationships with some that have been, and will continue to be, very important to me. I’ve been trying to do some good while I’ve been there. Whether or not I’ve done more harm than good or good than harm, I don’t think I’ll know. I do know I’ve done both; pretty much anyone, anywhere does both, but especially for me, a westerner, in the context I was in there, I’ve done both. I’ve learned a bit; about Uganda, her people, western peoples, Americans, humanity, the aid industry, perceptions, reality, God, religion, beauty, brokenness, myself. So what great things can I pass on from my experiences, what great wisdom have I gained? I can’t really tell you. Maybe that’s not a nice, satisfactory answer, but it’s the answer I have right here, right now. I know that I've learned and grown an awful lot, and also that I know next to nothing about anything and being there for the last two years makes me an expert on nothing.

So what comes next for me? I don't have that all figured out right now, but things that I'm planning on are: trying my level best to figure out moving forward with my experiences a part of me and not let the experiences of the last couple years slip away into oblivion, which I feel could happen because in the context of being here in the states, that part of me feels completely removed and pretty much irrelevant, even though I know it's still a part of me and doesn't have to be irrelevant; visiting friends and relatives; researching other options for jobs in the states or overseas, or possibly graduate schools. Let me know if you know what I should do with myself now.

4 Comments:

At 4/27/2008 9:50 PM, Blogger Liz said...

Nathan - give yourself time to go through the cultural adjustment of being back Stateside. Don't make any snap decisions.

Let your friends and family hear what is on your heart, and take it one day at a time.

Hope to bump into at church one day soon.

Liz Blake (formerly Whitters)

 
At 5/03/2008 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan, it's good go have you back in the States, though it's strange that you aren't in Uganda anymore and we don't have that direct connection through you anymore. Thanks for posting on your blog - I'm sure people are excited to read what you say, even when you're not exactly sure WHAT to say.

 
At 5/25/2008 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan,
Life doesn't let us understand all we have learned at one time. It comes in bits and pieces, sometimes we go forward and sometimes we go backwards. But in the end it makes us who we are.

You have had an experience a magnatude larger than most of us will ever have and you will grow from it. Give it time. Enjoy your homecomming, your family and friends and don't worry about it. You are a bigger person because of it, even though you may not be able to see it yet.

Thanks for do it for all of us. You now have some insight into them and they have some insight into a midwestern American.

Good luck, know you will find the right outlet for you talent.
Greg Volkland

 
At 10/22/2008 12:22 AM, Blogger GoGoAmanda said...

Nathan,
I know it's been a while since you returned, and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get in touch. I'm proud of you, and I stand willing and eager to listen any time you'd like to talk about your experiences in Uganda. Have you been back to COR? I still attend there fairly regularly. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
Godspeed,
Amanda Denning

 

Post a Comment

<< Home