The Chronicles of Nathan

Peace Corps adventures in Uganda, March 2006 - May 2008

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

City Life

I've been living here in Kampala for the last few weeks working on a project. The organization I'm partnered with is building a ferry-barge to ferry returning Sudanese refugees across the Albert Nile river in Northern Uganda, so I'm helping with that. The picture shows the ferry in progress, minus the seats, engines, control console, loading ramp, canopy, safety rails, etc.



















It's been a while since I've seen my friends in the village and my house and all. I got a text message from my friend in the village saying the mud is leaving the house seriously. I guess it's been raining now during the rainy season and mud erodes in the rain, even with a plastering of harder cow dung. Hopefully there'll be something left of it when I get back out there. For now I'm enjoying having running water with warm showers most of the time, electricity some of the time when the power's on, eating good (and expensive) food sometimes, and seeing friends who come into town. So do I prefer the mud house in the village or living in the city? That's a good question, but I can tell you that I feel it's becoming time to get back to my village.



When they said 'never again' after the holocaust, was it meant for some people and not others?-Genocide Museum, Rwanda

4 Comments:

At 6/06/2007 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan,

The barge looks great and will be a blessing to many refugees! Keep up the great work!

Bob

 
At 6/06/2007 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan where is the steering wheel? Sounds like you are enjoying many different experiences - city and country. Your comments on the trade offs are interesting. Amazing how much I take for granted. Thanks for everything you are doing Nathan! - Liz

 
At 6/07/2007 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan, it's wonderful to see another post on your blog! We are eager to read about your life in Uganda, even if it seems mundane at times to you or that not much has changed. Your resume will be quite impressive when you return to the States - designing ferries and lifejackets, repairing wells, building a mud house.....

 
At 6/11/2007 5:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work there Nathan. It always makes me feel there is hope in the world when I read about your efforts.

Best regards,

Greg G.
(NCS)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home