The Chronicles of Nathan

Peace Corps adventures in Uganda, March 2006 - May 2008

Sunday, January 21, 2007

random stuff

Here are some movies to check out:
Last King of Scotland - about the former Ugandan dictator Idi Amin. Some fact, some fiction.
Invisible Children - about the Lord's Resistance Army and child soldiers in Uganda
Uganda Rising - documentary about Uganda

A book you should read is The White Man's Burden. It takes a critical look at the aid industry, why so much money has been pumped into aid and so little progress made.

Being here, there sometimes is a fine line between realism and pessimism. The world isn't roses, but there can be hope for the future if we face reality and do something about it.


So recently I've been working with David, my counterpart in my village, to complete a household survey of every house in the village. We gathered information on demographics, source of income, children's immunization and school attendance, mortality, morbitity, sanitation indicators like use of a latrine, a bathing area, and a drying rack. We got some good data and we will use it for creating community health clubs which will be a vehicle for learning about health topics and doing projects in the community. There's a lot of potential for what can be done.

4 Comments:

At 1/22/2007 5:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan,
I have been enjoying your work and the postings you have the time to make. If there are things I can do for you I would offer my assistance. Good luck to you and your endeavors. Greg V

 
At 1/22/2007 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan,
Yes there is a thin line between pessimism and realism. On the other hand, it is amazing to think that if God had not brought you to this small village in Uganda, what would have been left undone. Each day that you give of your time, talents and yourself, their lives get a little better. Perhaps you do not see it, but those of us who read your blogg do. Our love and prayers go out to you Nathan. Liz

 
At 1/22/2007 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan, I love your blog and you. Your dad and I are going to be facilitating the Alpha Course at the church each Thursday. Knowing your parents like I do, I am not a bit surprised at what you are doing. Everyone I talk to at FUMC about you is so proud of you, (and it is not just your mom and dad). When I think of you and the great kid you were, it is easy to acknowledge the great man you are. God is certainly working through you and I know you are very much aware of that. Please let me know if the church family or I can send you anything you want or need; or send anything to the villagers you think they would like. God loves you and so do I (sound like Bonnie Tull?).

Corky

 
At 1/22/2007 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home