The Chronicles of Nathan

Peace Corps adventures in Uganda, March 2006 - May 2008

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Home Sweet Home

I've been living for about a week now at what is to be my new home for the next 2 years.
Last week we wrapped up training and had our swearing in ceremony at the U.S. Ambassador's residence, after which we split up and shipped off to our respective new homes with all of our luggage, miscellaneous stuff needed to fend for ourselves at site, and accumulated Peace Corps books and equipment. Our group is a good bunch of people and it was kind of sobering to say good luck to them and step off into the fog of this next part of life here.
There's a lot I could say about the PC at this point, and my fellow volunteer colleaques will attest to that, but I won't because you would have to understand the context.

So when I arrived at my site a week ago Friday evening, there were hundreds of people everywhere camped out around the health center and parish. I had no idea what was going on and I thought this much be a much more happening place than I had first thought on my initial visit a few weeks ago. It turns out that there was a week long revival at the church. Who knew the catholic church was so evangelical, with some of the revival led by a charismatic catholic priest, even. The father of the parish told me there is usually many more people at these revivals but some people had stayed home instead of travelling to the church for the week because the rains have come late and the crops aren't doing well. Everone dispersed last Sunday, so I haven't been stared at by hundreds of people at a time since then, only the normal number.

So what's it like being at site? Imagine if you will, being a young white American guy somehow finding yourself living in the rural mountains of Uganda; the only person with glow in the dark skin for miles and miles, not knowing anyone, knowing few words or phrases of the local language, trying to figure out what work you can do here to meet needs without causing more problems and trying to find someone to work with while trying to explain just why you are here if it isn't to bring funding from America or Europe and what you think you will do here for two years in a way that doesn't sound totally ridiculous. Of course it's not really the way you would imagine it. There's no way for you to accurately know unless you were here with me. Of course by you being here with me, it would change the dynamics so it wouldn't be the same anyway. Ah, Heisenberg, you've got us again. (Sorry for the ((actually incorrect)) reference to Heisenberg's uncertaintanty principle; that's what being at site will do to you. I guess it's better than turning into a night dancer. Now I'm going to have to explain the legend of night dancers. Stay tuned friends, maybe in another post I'll explain it and tell about by own encounter with such.)
There's not much in the area of interest, or for that matter a place to buy any kind of food (including produce), get mail, buy much of any supplies, or do about anything but see the health center or go to mass at church (which isn't in english). But of course you can buy a warm coke or beer at the small shop next to the health center. I'm lucky then that the priest's cooks will also cook for me and I will eat 3 meals a day with the priest and friar. The downside of that arraingement is that for the past week I have eaten, and for the next 2 years I will eat, for lunch and supper, rice, beans, goat, and bananas or sometimes pineapple. It's also an almost surreal experience to find myself eating supper with two Ugandan priests in rural Africa while they watch the Family Guy on satellite TV run by a generator in the only building for miles that has electricity or lights glaring, but then not much surprises me here anymore.

This last week I've been climbing up the hill to see if by chance there's any text messages on my phone from the outside world, reading, writing, listening to music or the BBC (including a great CD of piano solos by my my grandma), and I've met with the father and sister to discuss what I can do here (with a tentative plan to start with, sorta kinda), and I met with some local leaders to introduce myself and tell them I'll be working in the area. Also, the father drove me down the road in his van and introduced me to the head of an area development project office of World Vision, and I'm hopeful that I will be able to work with them some. So I'm making some progress on finding projects to work on and people to work with. This weekend I am visiting friends for a bit of a break from things.
It takes a lot of energy to try to meet people and start becoming part of the community and get people used to me being there. I don't really have anyone to be my guide to the community, but mpora mpora (slowly by slowly) I will become a part of things here.

9 Comments:

At 5/29/2006 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan, I can't imagine what this experience is like for you right now. It must be so frustrating and lonely. But we still think about you all the time, and we are with you in spirit over the miles and cultural divides. You are probably experiencing the Hawthorne Effect, too, in addition to Heisenberg, where the act of your presence and observation is actually changing the behavior of the people you are observing. So how do you become integrated into the surroundings so that you are no longer an outside observer? I suppose this will be your challenge over the next 2 years. But I have complete faith in your ability to navigate difficult circumstances - your intelligence, compassion, faith, and commitment will help see you through.
Love, Leslie

 
At 5/29/2006 6:20 AM, Blogger Megan Elizabeth said...

Dear Nathan, I think you might also be experiencing the "peace corps phenomenon (PCP)." That is when you go crazy after you've joined the Peace Corps. Lots of other things are related to PCP like being in surreal situations, watching Cable while eating goat, spending hours and hours with people who either don't like you, don't understand you, or think you are a US spy. Another by-product of the PCP is calling all of these situations "home sweet home." You have reached my friend. I'm so proud of you. Welcome to the association!
On my front, this Thursday, I'm moving islands because of the "confusion" on my island. I'm sure this will lead to a whole new world regarding the PCP for me! I continue to read your blog faithfully and am ever so proud of you. I would say most people in this world couldn't last a day in your shoes. Good on ya, Megan

 
At 5/30/2006 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan,

Wow! You amaze and inspire me (and many others who know you) to continue to push my limits, remove myself from my "comfort zone" and explore God's world in a more up-close and personal way than millions of Americans will ever consider. Bless your heart! Try to keep your head up and remain positive. I'm sure it's often difficult. What is God trying to teach you through this experience? What can you do to serve and glorify him while you're there? You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. We miss you and send our unrelenting support. Hugs from KS,

 
At 5/30/2006 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so amazing to read your words from foreign lands!

I'm impressed with your ability to just go-with-the-flow and see what comes. I'm glad you aren't expecting to cure world hunger in one week!

Take care of yourself and enjoy this opportunity.

 
At 5/31/2006 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nathan!
You don't know me, but I'm Megan's sis-in-law. Anyway, I'm enjoying your blog and adding you to my prayers. You PCV's take my breath away with your courage and resilience (sp?).
You're doing a great thing!!

 
At 6/01/2006 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to miss the point completely... but...Did the priests find the Family Guy amusing? That is what I want to know!

 
At 6/03/2006 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Nathan, should I send the cook some recipes?! How creative is she with rice,bean,goat, and pinepaple or banana? Hang in there. Pretty soon it will all seem normal and like "home"! I love you and am very proud of you!

 
At 6/06/2006 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan....sorry I forgot to change the identity on the above comment.....I'm used to sending comments to Megan.....

 
At 8/17/2006 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan,

When I went in to see your dad about my dogs, he mentioned this site and how proud he is of your writing ability. I had to see for myself!!! Your success does not surprise me, and I encourage you to continue writing about your experiences. This is such a special part of your life; thank you for sharing it with the rest of your friends. I will continue to read about your experiences with interest. Good luck!!

Linda Spencer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home