The Chronicles of Nathan

Peace Corps adventures in Uganda, March 2006 - May 2008

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Soon to be an actual Peace Corps Volunteer
































I am including some pictures here, but I don't know how well they will post. Hopefully you can see them and read the text, too. There is a picture of me swinging from a vine on March 11 in Entebbe Botanical Gardens, fellow peace corps trainee Angela with my homestay monkey (which hated me, but finally let me touch it on the last day I was living with my homestay), a view from my future house at my site on a foggy morning, a view of my site from the hill I will have to climb to get cell phone reception (the health center is the group of buildings to the left), me at Ssezibwe Falls on April 15 on a trip to Jinja and the source of the Nile River at Lake Victoria (the pic is not on the Nile, but at a place on the way there), and me at our homestay thank-you ceremony with my host mom on the left and host sister on the right (I am wearing a traditional formal garment called a kanzu. It's not a dress, it only looks like one).


We are about finished with training. I am in Kampala this week, and we will be sworn in as full fledged Peace Corps Volunteers on Thursday. I know where my site is, and visited it for a few days week before last. I've had some "Peace Corps" experiences that I might tell about in a later post.
My site is in the very southwest of the country. The nearest town of significance is Kabale, but it will take me an hour or so to get there, I think, using public transport or private vehicle. I am assigned to work with a health center that is run by the Catholic diocese. It has 7 nurses, a midwife, and a lab tech. A nun is the in-charge and will be my counterpart who theoretically I will work with on projects and will be my main co-worker. My superviser will be the parish priest, who is also a major political figure in the area. The village consists of the health center, a primary school, a girl's secondary school, a small general shop, the catholic church, and small farmers scattered over the surrounding hills. The nearest market is about a half hour drive away. I will live in a room in a house at the health center/parish which was built to house a doctor if one is found to work at the health center. A person who works at the health center also has a room in the house. I will have running cold water of sketchy quality, but no electricity. The electric grid has not yet reached the area. There is running water because of the Priest's connections. I don't know what kind of work I will find to do or what kind of projects I will find to work on, or who I will find to work alongside on the projects. I will get it figured out in due time. The area is beautiful. It's mountainous and has amazing views. The weather is very nice, but some people here consider it cold.
I might get a PO Box in Kabale, but you can still send things to the address I posted earlier and I will get them.

Thank you all for thoughts, prayers, letters, and emails. Keep me in your prayers, and I will do the same.

8 Comments:

At 5/16/2006 5:12 PM, Blogger Megan Elizabeth said...

Nathan, you are amazing. I can see your positive attitude and I'm astonished. I could say a lot of things, but I'll keep it short. Nathan...working in the health center with nursese? You can do anything for sure, but I'm a little frustrated by this common theme of PC making decisions that do not seem appropriate. I loved the pictures. I loved your dress too- I mean, the formal pant's outfit. Ha. I would love to come visit you some day. Is there another room at the health center? Now, that is hilarious! Praying for you!

 
At 5/16/2006 5:14 PM, Blogger Megan Elizabeth said...

Let me clarify one thing- I'm not astonished that you have a positive attitude. I guess I should have said encouraged!

 
At 5/17/2006 4:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Nathan, I soaked up the pictures! It's so good to see you! Your country looks beautiful. You will have challenges ahead, for sure; we'll be so interested to hear what you make happen. I pray for you each day, and you know I love you much! Stay brave and positive; you will have the resource you need when you need it. The adventure continues!

 
At 5/17/2006 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was fun to see the pictures, Nathan! It looks like a beautiful area where you will live. Did you yell like Tarzan when you swung on that vine??

 
At 5/17/2006 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan,
You continue to be my hero! What a beautiful place to live and work. Hopefully you won't have to make too many phone calls, the hike will get you in really good shape. Everyone at Habitat asks about you. We miss you and your expertise. Bob is lost without you! Be safe and you remain in our prayers. Ann W.

 
At 5/18/2006 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan, I wanted to say hi the quickest way. The pictures are great-helps us put people and scenery to the Uganda you're getting to know. Sounds like faith is the name of the game-you'll figure things out in due time. We love you and will wait to hear the next installment of your adventure!

 
At 5/22/2006 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update.

Nice dress! and by "dress," I mean "hat."

Praying for you.

 
At 5/24/2006 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan,
I must admit, I would not have bet on a few items...a.) That your new career choice would be a nurse. b.) That your coworker would be a nun. c.) that you would be wearing a dress to a formal event. After two daughters I know a dress when I see one, no matter what they said. These are all items we will work on when you get back, especially C.)

The habitat home is slowly progressing, the trusses ended up almost plumb, which to an engineer is fairly similar to not plumb but up. We all miss you and are looking forward to all of us working together again.
take care,
Don

 

Post a Comment

<< Home