The Chronicles of Nathan

Peace Corps adventures in Uganda, March 2006 - May 2008

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Caribbean Diversion





I just got back from a good time in the Caribbean visiting my friend Megan in the Peace Corps. She lives on a beautiful little island there, and has been there over six months now. I flew in last Thursday evening and left yesterday(Mon) at noon. It was a short visit, but a good one. We made the most of the time I had there. I tagged along with her Friday as she did some work with her special students, saw the town and tourist destinations, hiked up to an historic fort, saw a batik shop with a demonstration of making batik fabric, saw lots of awesome plants and trees, a rock carving from the original inhabitants of the island, saw a movie in a theater, took a ferry to the neighboring island and climbed to the peak, 3232 ft above sea level, (and what a climb it was: hand over hand most of the way along a muddy trail using ropes with roots and vines and rocks as handholds and footholds; but the view was awesome, and the tropical rainforest-like environment was beautiful) with a PCV friend and her boyfriend, hung out and ate supper with them, went to church Sunday morning with Megan’s landlord and family, went to a beach and swam and relaxed on the sand and made a sandcastle, ate some freshly caught fish, met lots of Megan’s friends (seems like she knows people all over the island), and visited some shops that she frequents.
She’s really a part of the community. It’s tough work that she’s doing, but it’s on a beautiful island. The weather was awesome. Now I’m back in KC facing all the preparations I need to do before moving this weekend and flying out next week.

3 Comments:

At 2/24/2006 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan-
I wish you the best of luck on your service in Uganda. I stumbled upon your blog through Megan's. I will check back for updates. I admire you for following your heart to serve. Best of luck and may God be with you!

 
At 2/25/2006 10:22 PM, Blogger Megan Elizabeth said...

Great summary of our whirlwind 3-day tour! Good luck to you Nathan. You are about to start a journey of a lifetime.

 
At 2/26/2006 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the best mate. I'm keeping an eye on ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home