The Chronicles of Nathan

Peace Corps adventures in Uganda, March 2006 - May 2008

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Hello from Uganda

I have my first chance at the internet since leaving the States, so I am happy! I am Mbarara in the southwest right now. Another trainee and I have been on a visit to a current volunteer even farther southwest from here to see what life is like for a real volunteer. The public transport here is fun! ;)
Training is going well, I think. We stayed in Entebbe near the airport for almost a week, just getting used to things and having some preliminary workshops, then last sunday we went to Luwero and our homestays. Our training center is in Luwero. My host family and I are adjusting pretty well to living with each other. Training this week has been busy, but good. There are many adjustments for us to make. Not having electricity, running or clean water, taking bucket baths, squatting over a hole in the pit latrine are all things that have been easy to adjust to. The harder things will be the social, cultural, and language barriers. I am learning Runyonkore/Rukiga which are two languages very similar to each other and are spoken in the southwest region of Uganda, so I will be placed in this area somewhere. English is also spoken here, but knowing some language will help a lot. My host family in Luwero speaks Luganda and some English. I have a leisurly 20 minute bike ride to the training center from my host family's place. Uganda is very beautiful. Here in the southwest it is hilly and lush tropical vegitation. I think it is somewhat drier in the east and north. The temperature has been not too hot, but I have to say that I do break a sweat. Night is very comfortable. Everywhere we go, we are like celebrities. The kids wave at us and call to us and run after us sometimes. They want to touch us and they giggle a lot. Usually when I try to use some language, people bust out laughing. They aren't laughing at me, but rather they are amused that a muzungu is speaking thier language. They appreciate it that I am making that effort.
I am doing well so far. There are many adjustments to make, but I am making them so far. I really appreciate my training group and the trainers we have.
I have heard here that the mail takes more like 2-3 weeks for a letter and 3-4 weeks for a package, so it's a little better than I thought it would be.
I hope everything back in America is going okay.
Later,
Nathan

7 Comments:

At 3/18/2006 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought of you as a muzungu, and now it's confirmed. But seriously, what does it mean? White guy? bearded foreigner? alien?

 
At 3/19/2006 3:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear word from Uganda, Nathan! I'm excited for you!You're already traveling and using the language...way to represent for all the muzungu's out here (did I use it properly?)

 
At 3/20/2006 3:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan! Wonderful to hear from you, glad you made it safely. Sounds as though you are quite taken with your foster country and her people. So have you asked them whether they have a name for someone who lugs around hurricane ravaged kitchen appliances yet? God keep you safe!

 
At 3/20/2006 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan, so very happy to know you're safe and to hear from you.I'm with Micah, What is a muzungu? Your folks are doing well, of course their hearts are there with you. Keep in touch when you can.

 
At 3/21/2006 4:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan, it was great to hear your "voice"! I'm glad you're adjusting to those minor inconveniences like no water and no electricity and no toilet...! Really, it sounds like things are going well for you. I hope the time with your family continues to be good. I know that you are a good ambassador and pray that God will fill you with all that you need every day.
Deb

 
At 3/23/2006 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan -- I'm glad to know that you are doing well!

--Amanda

 
At 3/27/2006 4:43 AM, Blogger Megan Elizabeth said...

Wow! I'm was so happy to click on your site and see a message from you! Can you believe it? You are living de life. (ok, that was caribbean, sorry). It sounds like you are really having an adventure. I'm so glad that people are welcoming you. From one muzungu to another, keep up the good work. (I hope muzungo doesn't mean bearded foreigner, because in that case, I am definately not that.) You are so brave!
Megan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home